Everyone feels lonely sometimes.
It’s OK to feel lonely and it will go away.
Feeling lonely may be because:
- a best friend is moving away
- starting at a new school
- finding it hard to make friends
- feeling like you don’t fit in
- other kids not wanting to play with you
- being bullied
- being different
- losing someone you love
- things not going well at home
- being away from your family
Sometimes you can feel lonely even when you’re with other people.
How can I stop feeling lonely?
- Talk about it – tell someone you trust about you how you feel. They can help you figure out what to do.
- Have fun – do something that makes you happy. Play games, make things, draw or spend time outdoors.
- Animals can help – pets are great company. Spend some time with your pet, pat them and play with them.
- Visit people your whānau – you might feel better seeing them and they’d love seeing you too!
- Make new friends – say ‘hi’ to a kid at school or in your neighbourhood. You could talk to them and find out more about them to make friends.
- Help others – find a way to help other people. This will make you feel better and the other person feel good.
Call us at 0800 What’s Up – we’re here to help.
Try not to worry! Remember, it’s OK to feel lonely sometimes and it will get better.